Setup Step 4: Find the Best Intensity Level for Your Dog
The collar receiver has multiple intensity levels. This allows you to choose the stimulation that is best for your dog. For training efficiency, it is important to find the right intensity level for your dog. This is called the Recognition Level, at which your dog looks around in curiosity, or flicks his ears.
Note: Always start at the lowest level and work your way up.
Finding Your Dog’s Recognition Level:
Note: Every dog is different and you cannot predict where your dog’s Recognition Level will be. Watch closely for any slight change in behavior that tells you your dog is feeling the stimulation.
- With the Collar Receiver turned on and properly fitted to your dog, set the Remote Transmitter’s Intensity Dial at Level 1 and press the Continuous Stimulation Button for 1 to 2 seconds.
- If your dog shows no reaction to Level 1, go to Level 2 and repeat the process.
- YOUR DOG SHOULD NOT VOCALISE OR PANIC WHEN RECEIVING STIMULATION. IF THIS HAPPENS, THE STIMULATION LEVEL IS TOO HIGH AND YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS LEVEL AND REPEAT THE PROCESS. OR MOVE TO A LOWER STIMULATION RANGE (SEE BELOW)
- Once you find your dog’s Recognition Level, this is the level you should use when you begin a training exercise.
- If you have progressed to the highest level while searching for your dog’s Recognition Level and your dog continues to show no response, check to see if Collar Receiver is snug against your dog’s neck. Then go back to Intensity Level 1 and repeat the process. If your dog still does not indicate he is feeling the stimulation, you have two options: you may either have to trim the hair beneath the Contact Points or switch to the longer Contact Points included in your system.
If after completing all of these steps your dog still does not indicate he is feeling the stimulation, please contact us.
CHANGING STIMULATION RANGES
The Upland Hunter 1875, SportTrainer® 1600 m Remote Trainer with Beeper, SportTrainer® 1600 m Remote Trainer with Beeper, SportTrainer® 1200 m Remote Trainer and SportTrainer® 1600 m Remote Trainer come with 3 stimulation ranges (low, medium and high). There are 7, 8, or 9 stimulation levels within each range, with 1 being the lowest and 7/8/9 being the highest. The default range setting is 2 or medium. To change the range of stimulation, follow these steps:
- Turn the unit off.
- Then turn the unit on by pressing and releasing the on/off button.
- After the Indicator Light turns off and within 5 seconds, press and hold the on/off button for 3 seconds.
- The Collar Receiver will then beep once and the Indicator Light will flash orange. This indicates Low stimulation range. If Medium or High are desired, continue to hold the button until the number of beeps/orange flashes equals the desired stimulation range shown in the chart below.
- Release the button once the desired range is selected; the Collar Receiver will turn off.
- Turn the unit back on. It will then beep according to the stimulation range selected in Step 4.