Training Days 5-8- Distraction Phase
Perform three training sessions per day, each lasting 10 to 15 minutes.
To train your dog to stay within the Boundary Area with distractions outside of the Boundary Area.
- Begin training with Stimulation Level 2 and only increase if your dog does not respond to the Stimulation.
- Put a separate non-metallic collar on your dog’s neck ABOVE the Collar Receiver and attach a leash.
- Be sure the extra collar does not put pressure on the Contact Points.
- Have tiny pieces of treats available.
- Have your dog’s favorite play toy available.
- During this step, you’ll create distractions to tempt your dog to enter the Warning and Stimulation Zones, such as:
- Having a family member cross from inside the Boundary Area to outside of it.
- Throwing a ball outside of the Boundary Area.
- Having a neighbor walk their dog outside the Boundary Area.
- With full control of your dog on a leash, have the distraction presented.
- If your dog does not move toward the distraction, praise and offer a treat.
- If your dog does react to the distraction, allow him to go into the Stimulation Zone.
- Help your dog back into the Boundary Area if he does not turn back after 3 seconds.
- Give treats and praise your dog anytime he comes back into the Boundary Area with or without help.
- Repeat this process with other distractions. Use other family members during this process.