Why can't I just leave the collar on all the time?
Proper fit of the collar is important, but a collar worn for too long or made too tight on the dog’s neck may cause skin irritation or damage. Ranging from redness to pressure ulcers, this condition is commonly known as bed sores. It is also called decubitus ulcers or pressure necrosis.
To help avoid the possibility of your dog developing this type of irritation or sores:
- Avoid leaving the collar on the dog for more than 12 hours per day.
- When possible reposition the collar on the dog’s neck every 1 to 2 hours.
- Check the fit to prevent excessive pressure. Read our support topic: How do I fit the collar properly?
- Never connect a leash to the electronic collar; it will cause excessive pressure on the contacts.
- When using a separate collar for a leash, don’t put pressure on the electronic collar.
- Wash the dog’s neck area and the contacts of the collar weekly with a damp cloth.
- Examine the contact area daily for signs of a rash or a sore.
- If a rash or sore is found, discontinue use of the collar until the skin has healed.
- If the condition persists beyond 48 hours, see your veterinarian.
These steps will help keep your dog safe and comfortable. Millions of dogs are comfortable while they wear stainless steel contacts. Some dogs are sensitive to contact pressure. You may find after some time that your dog is very tolerant of the collar. If so, you may relax some of these precautions. It is important to continue daily checks of the contact area. If redness or sores are found, discontinue use until the skin has fully healed. You may need to trim the hair in the area of the Contact Points or switch to the longer Contact Points to ensure consistent contact. Never shave the dog’s neck; this may lead to a rash or infection.
Products related to this Support Topic:
- SportTrainer® 450 m Remote Trainer
- SportHunter™ 1600 m Multi-Dog Remote Trainer
- SportTrainer® 1200 m Remote Trainer
- SportTrainer® 1600 m Remote Trainer
- WetlandHunter 1825 Remote Trainer
- SportTrainer® 1600 m Remote Trainer with Beeper
- HoundHunter Add-A-Dog® collar (SD-3225)
- SportTrainer® Add-A-Dog® collar with Remote Beeper (SD-1825E)
- SportTrainer® Add-A-Dog® collar (SD-1225E, 1825E)