TEK 1.0 GPS Tracking
You've landed on the support page for the TEK 1.0 GPS Tracking. How can we help you?
Installation and Setup
- Setup Step 1: Prepare the Handheld Transmitter
You must complete these steps prior to using this device for the first time.
TO CHARGE THE HANDHELD DEVICE:View Support Topic
NOTE: Approximate battery life between charges...
- Setup Step 2: Prepare the GPS Collar
TO CHARGE THE GPS COLLAR :
- Lift the rubber cover protecting the GPS Charging Jack located on the bottom of the GPS Collar next to the On/Off button. ...
- Setup Step 3: Pair Collars to the Handheld Device
Your system will already be paired when you get it, but in the event you need to pair the Handheld Device to the GPS Collar or GPS Collar with E-Collar...View Support Topic
- Setup Step 4: fit the Collar
To ensure the effectiveness of this product and the comfort and safety of your dog, check the fit of his collar frequently. If you notice that your dog is...View Support Topic
- Setup Step 5: Add Your Dog
The TEK™ SERIES Location and Training System allows you to track up to 12 dogs with purchase of additional GPS Collars, or GPS Collars with E-Collar Modules....View Support Topic
- SportDOG Brand TEK Series - Using the Tracking and Training Screens
SportDOG Brand Category Manager walks you through the use of the TEK Series Tracking and Training screens. The TEK Series allows you to easily track and communicate with your dog in one screen, or toggle between the tracking and training screens for more in-depth training options.Watch Video (1:14)
- SportDOG TEK Series - How to Add an E-Collar to Your Tek Series GPS Collar
SportDOG Brand Tracking Category Manager Darrell Douglas walks you through adding an e-collar to your TEK Series GPS Location Collar. Adding the E-Collar module allows you to communicate with your hunting dog up to 7 miles. The e-collar module offers Continuous and Momentary Static Stimulation, Rising Stimulation, Vibration and Tone.Watch Video (0:47)
- SportDOG TEK Series - Pairing Additional Collars to Your TEK Series System
SportDOG Brand Tracking Category Manager Darrell Douglas walks you through pairing additional collars to your TEK series Handheld Device. The TEK Series is capable of tracking and training up to 12 dogs at one time. To do this additional TEK-AD or TEK-L Add-A-Dog Collars will need to be paired to your TEK Series system.Watch Video (1:58)
- SportDOG TEK Series - Setting Up Your Dog’s Profile
SportDOG Brand Tracking Category Manager Darrell Douglas walks you through setting up your dog's profile on the TEK Series system. The TEK Series allows you to customize your tracking and training preferences for every dog you run on the system, up to 12 dogs. Setting up your dog's profile allows you track and train each dog in your preferred method quickly and easily every time.Watch Video (1:31)
- SportDOG TEK Series Explanation of Tracking Screen Icons
SportDOG Brand Category Manager Darrell Douglas explains the icons found on the TEK Series GPS Location Screen of the TEK Series Handheld Device. These icons allow you to know that you have communication with your dog, which direction your dog is traveling, if your dog is pointing or treeing and more.Watch Video (0:47)
- SportDOG Tek Series - How to Calibrate Your Compass on Your TEK Series
SportDOG Brand Tracking Category Manager Darrell Douglas walks you through calibrating the compass on your TEK Series System. Calibrating the compass ensures you are receiving the best GPS tracking information on your gun dog. The TEK System will track your hunting fog up to 7 miles.Watch Video (0:56)
- SportDOG Tek Series - Programming the E-Collar Communication Options
SportDOG Tracking Category Manager Darrell Douglas walks you through programming the E-Collar settings on your TEK Series GPS Location+E-Collar System. The TEK Series e-collar allows you to assign Continuous or Momentary Stimulation, Rising Stimulation, Tone and/or vibration to the stimulation buttons on your Handheld Device. Stimulation ranges may also be set to move through a gradual or very progressive stimulation range.Watch Video (1:17)
- Change Communication Settings
The COMMUNICATION screen allows you to set the User ID, GPS channel, and E-Collar channel. The User ID is a unique identifier used by the Handheld Device and...View Support Topic
- Change General Settings
The SETTINGS screen allows you to customize the operation of the Handheld Device.View Support Topic
TO OPEN THE SETTINGS MENU:
From the main menu, select SETTINGS. The...
- Change My Collars Settings
The MY COLLARS screen allows you to configure a new collar, pair the collar to work with your Handheld Device, or share tracking of a collar from another...View Support Topic
- Change My Dogs Settings
The MY DOGS screen allows you to add or remove dogs assigned to the Handheld Device. It helps track which dog is wearing which collar and defines collar...View Support Topic
- Change Unit Settings
The UNITS screen allows you to change distance units and time modes.
TO CHANGE DISTANCE UNITS:
- From the main menu, select SETTINGS > UNITS > DISTANCE.... View Support Topic
- Convert GPS Collar with E-Collar Module to Tracking-Only Mode
The E-Collar Module can be removed from the GPS Collar so the TEK™ Series Location and Training System may be used solely for locating and tracking your dog.... View Support Topic
- Navigate with the Compass and Mark Your Location with Way Points
The TEK™ SERIES Location System comes with a built-in electronic compass and GPS tools to track your location and guide you to previously saved locations.
...View Support Topic
- Reset Handheld Device
RESET HANDHELD DEVICEView Support Topic
Reset restores the Handheld Device to its factory-default settings.
NOTE: Resetting the system cannot be undone. All information...
- Set System Time
NOTE: Be sure to accurately set the time to your current local time.
TO SET THE LOCAL TIME:
- From the main menu, select SETTINGS > SET TIME. The SET...
- Use Vehicle Mode
WARNING: Using your TEK™ Series Location and Training System while operating a motor vehicle can be distracting. Always pay full attention to operating your...View Support Topic
- Using Tracking Mode
The DOG TRACKING screen allows you to view your location and track the location of your dog(s).View Support Topic
NOTE: You must have a clear view of the sky in order for the...
- Using Training Mode
The DOG TRAINING screen allows you to send a signal to deliver stimulation to your dog in order to correct a behavior. You can switch among the dogs...View Support Topic
- Changing the ID on Your SportDOG E-Collar System
All SportDOG Brand e-collars include the ability to change the ID of the transmitter. This is ideal for matching multiple transmitters to one Collar Receiver for hunting with buddies, or storing transmitters at different locations. Category Manager Clay Thompson walks you through changing the ID on your SportDOG e-collar.Watch Video (2:18)
- Fitting the E-Collar on Your Dog
For your SportDOG e-collar to work most effectively, it is important that you fit the collar appropriately on your dog. Category Manager Clay Thompson walks you through fitting the collar.Watch Video (1:09)
- Using the Test Light with Your SportDOG E-Collar System
All SportDOG e-collar dog training systems come with a test light for you to be able to check that your system's stimulation is being appropriately delivered. Category Manager Clay Thompson walks you through using the test light on your own system. This video applies to all SportDOG Brand e-collar dog training systems.Watch Video (0:43)
- Training Guide
Few things are more rewarding than setting a performance goal for your dog and then accomplishing that goal as a team. In this...View Support Topic
- General Training Tips
Once you have properly fit the collar and found the correct recognition level, you are ready to use the trainer and begin training your dog. Please keep the...View Support Topic
- Moving to E Collar Training
In this SportDOG Training Tip (originally aired on Pheasants Forever TV) SportDOG Brand Senior Pro Staffer Chris Akin walks you through transitioning your gun dog from a leash training program to an electronic collar dog training program. Chris makes this lesson simple and easy to follow. It can be applied to various basic obedience commands including heel, come, here and more.Watch Video (1:54)
- I cannot get my compass to calibrate.
Always calibrate the compass outside. Hold the compass level and away from objects that may generate magnetic fields, such as cars, buildings or overhead...View Support Topic
- I can’t figure out how to set the declination angle.
To find your exact declination angle, go to www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodels/Declination.jsp. Setting an incorrect magnetic declination will result in...View Support Topic
- My GPS Collar or E-Collar Module is experiencing outside interference.
You can adjust the channels on both the GPS Collar and E-Collar Module. To change the GPS channel, start from the main menu on your Handheld Device. Select...View Support Topic
- My Handheld Device conflicts with another similar handheld device.
The Handheld Device uses an ID value to distinguish it from other Handheld Devices. This ID is factory set and for most users will never need attention. The...View Support Topic
- My Handheld Device, GPS Collar, or E-Collar module does not turn on.
Check to make sure the unit is properly charged. If not, fully charge the device and try again. Remember to depress the power button for about 2-5 seconds....View Support Topic
- My dog is not responding when I press the STIM button.
- First, check to make sure that the E-Collar module has been turned on, that the E-Collar Module is enabled and that it is delivering stimulation. Turn the...
- My dog is not showing up on the tracking screen.
Use the Menu Selection Pad on the Tracking Screen to set the scale to AUTO.View Support Topic
- The GPS Collar/E-Collar module is not responding to the Handheld Device.
- First, make sure the GPS Collar/E-Collar Module have been charged. If not, they will need to charge in two hours. Then verify that the GPS Collar/E-Collar...
- Can my dog use the TEK™ Series systems?
The SportDOG Brand® TEK™ Series Location System has been proven safe, comfortable, and effective for all dogs over 8 pounds. This collar may be too large for dogs with a neck size under 13.5 inches. If you are using the Tracking and Training System your dog should be able to learn basic commands such as "Sit" or "Stay."
- Will I get exactly 7 miles of range with the TEK Series systems?
The range you get with your TEK Series system will vary according to terrain, weather, vegetation, as well as, transmission from other radio devices. Depending on the way you hold the Handheld Device, the maximum range may vary. For consistent results at longer ranges, hold the Handheld Device in a vertical position away from your body and above your head.
- Can I program my TEK Series system to work with my other SportDOG Brand® collars?
No. TEK Series systems are not compatible with other SportDOG™ collars currently on the market.
- Can I use the TEK Series Location and Training System on aggressive dogs?
We do not recommend any of our products be used on aggressive dogs. We recommend that you contact your local veterinarian or professional trainer to determine if your dog might be aggressive.
- What do I do if my dog's neck becomes red and irritated?
This condition is due to the Contact Points irritating the skin. Discontinue use of the GPS Collar with E-Collar Module for a few days. If the condition persists beyond 48 hours, see your veterinarian. once the skin returns to normal, resume use, and monitor the skin closely.
- How does the GPS tracking work?
Consistent, correct use of this product allows you to track your dog from up to 7 miles. The Handheld Device receives your location from its built-in GPS antenna and receives location updates from the antenna mounted on the GPS Collar to track the location of your dog.
- Are the TEK Series systems capable of multi-dog tracking?
Yes. The TEK Series systems are expandable to a maximum of 12 dogs. Additional collars must be purchased separately. Visit our TEK Product Pages to view Add-A-Dog options.
- Can I add maps to the TEK Series systems?
No. Maps cannot be added to your TEK series system.
- Can I organize the way the dogs are displayed on the tracking screen?
Yes. From the main menu, select DOG LIST>SELECT ORDER. A list of dogs you have set up in the system displays. Use the arrow keys to highlight the dog you want to move in the list and press the right arrow key. Use the up or down arrow keys to move selected dog to the desired place in the list. When the dog is in desired order, press the right arrow key. Repeat for each dog until they are in the desired order. Dogs will now appear in this order on the tracking/training screens. (See "To Set the Order in Dog Lists" in your manual.)
- How many dogs can I share on one transmitter?
You can share up to 12 dogs. Sharing a dog is the same as adding a dog to an available slot on your Handheld Device.
- Do I need to recalibrate my compass when I change locations?
For best results, it is recommended that the compass be calibrated after you arrive at a new location.
- How many waypoints can I store?
You can store up to 20 waypoints, which includes if you set a way point to your starting location.
- Will the TEK Series Location and Training System interfere with my CB Radio?
No. Your TEK Series Location and Training System will not cause interference with your CB radio.
- How long will my battery last?
The rechargeable battery should last 3-5 years. Each charge should last about 20 hours. You can extend the battery life by fully charging it every 3-4 months. When storing the device for an extended time, store within the following temperature range: from 32°F to 77°F (from 0° to 25°C).