Scents and Kits
Training a hunting dog can be one of the most rewarding experiences any hunter can have. There are no secrets involved: just patience, repetition, perseverance, consistency, and the ability to anticipate reaction. The goal is to have a well-trained, well-controlled hunting companion that is easy to have around and enjoy the few days a year that we all have to get away from the boss and the telephone. Our hunting scents and training kits give you the tools to train better and make the most of each hunt.
- Teaches dogs the scent they want to find in the field
- Highly-concentrated scent
- Easy to use with dummies
- 2 ounce squeeze bottle for easy application
- Original Roy Gonia Special® whistle used to train more field champions than any other whistle
- Original Lucky Dog™ plastic dummy with knobs designed to prevent hard mouth
- Durable nylon 4’ lead with 8” handle and brass bolt snap
- Lightweight nylon lanyard with a secure attachment clip
- Game scent teaches your dog the scent they want to find in the field
- Training guide loaded with valuable information to give you the basics of training your hunting dog
Shake well. Apply generously to drag/dummy or canvas. Work with your dog for short periods. Repeat often. Throw to teach retrieving. Soon your dog will be accustomed to the scent and associate it with the whole training process.
Using a scent on a training dummy helps you teach your dog the scent they want to find in the field, but in a controlled training environment. The more scent you add to the dummy, the easier it is for your dog to smell it. To test your dog’s scenting ability, start with a few drops, train for a bit, then add more as needed. A seasoned hunting dog might only need a few drops, but young pups may need more scent.
If you're using a plastic dummy, you'll need to reapply scent on a regular basis. Canvas dummies hold scent better so you won't need to reapply as often, but it will be difficult to switch which scent you are using. Plastic dummies are easy to clean so it’s easy to switch scents for different game.