#

SportDOG Brand: The Secret

Lance Tracy and Ripley

SportDOG VP Lance Tracy with his tri-color male English Setter, Ripley

For reasons unclear to me, the crew here at SportDOG believes I should write the first installment of our new blog. Maybe it’s an age thing. I’m thrilled to do so but I certainly am not the best writer you will read here, so come back for the good stuff. Now, onto blog one:

If you are a rollercoaster fan, then you’ve heard the warning “Keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times”. A similar caution would have applied to SportDOG in January 2003 as we prepared to announce ourselves to the sporting trade at the SHOT Show. It has been, and continues to be, a wild ride. And fun. Why? Well, the wild part would have been hard to predict and has been a very cool surprise. The fun part was easy to predict. Build a business focused on sporting dogs and hunting? Uh, yes please.

More than a few times, I have been asked ‘what makes SportDOG tick’? As always, in my experience at least, it’s the people. Two things about the team at SportDOG are huge. First, we are a real team. Each member of our crew would just about rather lose a limb than let another member of the crew down. Second, the crew loves their dogs and would rather be sitting in a blind beside them, walking a field behind them, or following them on a scent trail more than doing anything I could mention here.

Personally, I just like to hunt. I’m not overly picky about what I hunt and spend most of my free time between October and February proving it. Given the choice though, I’ll bird hunt. I’m a bird dog guy and have old tri-color male (Ripley) and young orange/white female (Roxy) English Setters at home. Unexplainably, our marketing manager, (Gretchen), engineering manager (Chris), product managers (Darrell and Clay), and sales guys (Steve, Kevin, and Josh) all have labs. They all like to hunt too. Quite possibly the only people that like to watch their dogs in the field and hunt with them more than you are us. OK, maybe you and I can debate that one over coffee at some point down the road, but the fact that it’s a conversation is The Secret. Regardless of our breed of choice, we would be designing SportDOG gear for ourselves even if you weren’t the enablers that we are glad you are. Like you, we appreciate a tool that works and is easy to use and get royally pissed if it doesn’t or isn’t.

I sometimes wish the answer to the question ‘what makes SportDOG tick?’ was more noble and complex. Like we believe we could stop crime by inventing a better tracking system or that by ensuring our dogs are steady to flush our teenagers will recognize us for the wise folks that we are.

I also feel kind of like a parent that spends too much time showing you picture after picture of their child when one would have been good. Thanks for indulging me and allowing me to go on a bit before I get to the most important part of this blog. There is no way we do any of this without you. We would want to because selfishly we would use the gear, but without you the math doesn’t work. If nothing else I say sticks, please remember these two words:

Thank You!

PS. It might also be good to remember to watch your hands and feet…the ride continues…

About Lance
Lance Tracy is the Vice President of SportDOG Brand®. Lance has been with SportDOG since its creation in 2003. He has been an avid hunter for over 30 years and in the sporting industry for over 18. Lance majored in Electrical Engineering at Indiana/Purdue University in Fort Wayne, IN. Prior to joining Radio Systems Corporation for the creation of SportDOG™, Lance was Vice President of Sales at Innotek. He is married with three children and two English Setters: Ripley, a tri-colored male featured in our SportHunter® 1825 ad, and Roxy, an orange and white female.

Posted in Meet the Team Tagged Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

10 Comments

1. Doug Funk
    Posted September 15, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Great first post! I think this is a good step for you guys. There’s a lot of us out there who are new to bird dog training who will read anything we can get our hands on.

As a side note I just bought the DSL-400 to use along side my SportDOG eCollar. My first beeper and it worked like a charm!

• sportdog
      Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Very nice! Glad to hear you are enjoying the system. We’re excited to finally have our own blog up and going. Not only do we get to give you guys a chance to see an inside look of what we’re about, we also have a lot of valuable resources, such as top of the line trainers, field trialers, conservation experts, hunters, etc., that we are excited to share. A lot of these guys have helped shape our skills and knowledge and we’re excited for you guys to get to hear more from them as well.

Thanks!

2. Mark Reilly
    Posted September 16, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Great start to the blog but for anyone who knows the folks at SportDog the “Secret” was no secret to us. There is no question that everyone I have ever met that has been associated with the brand lived and breathed dogs and the tools we use to make them great. Keep up the good work and the creation of great products! It is nice going into the filed knowing that at least the SportDog products won’t let you down like so often my shooting does.

• sportdog
      Posted September 19, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mark! We really appreciate that. It’s our goal everyday to put the best possible products on the market and to always make the definition of best better. We really appreciate your kind words and support.

Thanks again!

3. fabre jean louis
    Posted September 27, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

je suis à la recherche de colliers tracker de repérage
    intello en frequence 216 par avance merci
    si vous commercialisez ce produit veuillez m’indiquer
    le prix et les formalités à suivre pour expédition.

Sincères salutations

Fabre jean louis

• SportDOG
      Posted September 27, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Nous ne les systèmes de marché Tracker télémétrie. Le 216 est uniquement disponible aux États-Unis. Aux États-Unis, vous pouvez acheter le collier directement sur notre site, http://www.trackerradio.com. Le prix est d’environ $ 189.95. Si vous êtes en dehors des Etats-Unis, s’il vous plaît communiquer avec notre service à la clientèle. Le numéro est le 00 800 18 18 20 20. Nous vous encourageons à demander d’être mis à niveau pour une fréquence de furtivité.

4. Sheryl
    Posted July 4, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

My collar work when it’s NOT on the dog but doesn’t work in the dog. Any suggestions.

• SportDOG
      Posted August 1, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. It’s most likely that the stimulation needs to be raised. Your dog is probably feeling it, it’s just not high enough for him/her to care. There’s nothing that would make it work differently on the dog as far as engineering or anything goes. Try slowly raising the stimulation until you find your dog’s response point.

Thanks!

5. SportDOG
    Posted October 13, 2011 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Thanks Jonetta! We are knew to this whole blogging thing, so all we really know to do is write from experience. We might not always be the most eloquent, but we write from the heart. We’re hoping that counts for something.

6. SportDOG
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Thanks Kaley. We appreciate it. All of us are new to this whole blogging thing, but we’re trying to make it happen. Figured the best thing we could do was write about what we know. Hope you keep enjoying them!